Amnesty International USA’s Turkey Coordination Group (also known as Cogroup) seeks a new volunteer leader to join our team of skilled, dedicated Turkey Country Specialists. The Turkey Cogroup works closely with AI staff and others to advance human rights in Turkey. This is a non-paid position except for expenses related to Cogroup work.
- Country Monitoring – Turkey Country Specialists serve as key monitors and experts on Turkey. We are responsible for routinely monitoring the political and human rights situation in Turkey and having a solid understanding of AI’s policy and specific concerns pertaining to Turkey.
- Strategy Building – In collaboration with volunteers and staff, we develop and implement action strategies for Turkey. We participate in strategy development at international, section, and local levels.
- Campaigns and Crisis Response – We play a key role in the development and implementation of relevant campaigns, including Human Rights Defenders in Turkey.
- Media and Social Media – We serve as official spokespersons for AIUSA concerning human rights in Turkey and respond to and initiate media coverage. This includes both domestic and international print, TV, radio, and internet outlets. We manage our own blog account, Facebook and Twitter page, and maintain the Turkey pages on AIUSA’s website.
- Turkey Action Network – We support a network of groups and individual members who carry out ongoing work related to Turkey.
- Working with AIUSA members – We provide general assistance, information, and actions to AIUSA members, supporters, and activists seeking to work on issues related to human rights in Turkey.
- Working with Human Rights Organizations – We develop and maintain contacts with counterparts in other human rights organizations, solidarity groups and other stake-holders.
- US and Foreign Governments – We collaborate with AIUSA Advocacy Directors on any aspects of AIUSA’s legislative work pertaining to Turkey. We communicate with US State Department desk officers, US embassies abroad, foreign embassies in Washington, DC and consulates throughout the US.
- International Collaboration – We serve as AIUSA’s primary liaison to our counterparts at Amnesty International’s Secretariat.
- Social media, quick response media, and technology skills
- Writing and blogging skills
- Ability to read Turkish
- Comfortable aligning with AI policy as a Turkey spokesperson
- Must live in the United States
- Minimum two-year commitment
- Engaged and responsive
- Due to ongoing advocacy responsibilities, the being based in, or near Washington, DC, or having the capacity to travel there easily will be considered, but not required for this position.
- We are looking for thoughtful, committed team members who are skilled, dedicated to human rights in Turkey, and ready to join our team.
Please send a resume and completed job application to Kristen Velloza at: email@example.com